14K Gold internally threaded labret with amethyst
Quotes from Piercing FAQ
The area to be pierced should be disinfected using a surgical scrub. Povidone iodine (name brand Betadine) is most often used for prep. To prevent contamination and preserve efficacy, individually packaged single use disposable swabs and wipes are preferrable to a bottle. Some people are allergic to povidone iodine; an allergy to shellfish indicates a likely allergy to iodine. Povidone iodine can cause chemical irritation to mucous membranes and genital tissue.
Chlorhexidine gluconate solutions (name brand Hibiclens) are impractical for use as prep because they require thorough rinsing and should not be used near the eyes or ears.
PCMX (Chloroxylenol) surgical scrubs are a more appropriate alternative to povidone iodine. PCMX is non-toxic, more effective against a broader range of microorganisms than povidone iodine and is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. PCMX pentrates the skin to provide efficacy for six hours after application. Techni-Care brand surgical scrub does not require rinsing. The mouth should be prepped for oral piercings by rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash.
Placement should be marked with a non-toxic, Sharpie brand marker after the area has been thoroughly disinfected. Markers should not be reused after marking genital or tongue piercings. Some piercers take an extra precaution and use disposable markers or a sterilized toothpick dipped in Gentian violet (or food coloring if Gentian violet is not available).
Rings and Barbells
Studs & Screws
Retainers & Expanders